This winter, let’s get fishy!
I’ve always been fond of seafood. Whether you’re a diehard pescatarian or just a seafood lover, you’re probably in need of some fresh ideas – which is why I thought I’d share one of my favourite recipes; a quick fix that will hopefully inspire you to incorporate more seafood into your meals considering it’s a very important part of a healthy diet.
Plus this recipe is a winner! It’s so simple, does not require any lengthy marinating and is super flavourful.
With winter right around the corner, warm comfort food will be all the rage soon – so let’s get fishy with it.
Fish fillet – 400 grams
Salt – ½ tsp
Black pepper – ½ tsp
Flour – ½ cup
Cornflour – 3 tbsp
Egg – 1
Water – as required
Oil – for deep frying
For the sauce:
Oil – ¼ cup
Salt – ½ tsp
Ginger julienne – 1 tbsp
Garlic paste – 1tsp
Ketchup – ½ cup
Chilli sauce – 3 tbsp
Vinegar – 1 tbsp
Soy sauce – 1 tbsp
Sugar – 2 tsp
1. Marinate the fish fillets with salt and black pepper.
2. In a separate bowl, mix together cornflour, flour, the egg and water until you get a thick consistency.
3. Then dip the marinated fish fillets in the batter and deep fry until golden. Set aside.
4. In a frying pan, heat oil and add ginger and garlic. Cook until light golden.
5. Stir in the ketchup, chilli sauce, soy sauce, vinegar and sugar.
6. Add the fried fish fillets and toss them in the sauce.
7. Cook for another 2-3 minutes, garnish with spring onions and serve.
*A multi-year, multi-platform campaign that is harnessing the power of film, television and new media to generate greater global awareness of the ocean’s importance to society.
All photos: Arhama Siddiqa
The views expressed by the writer and the reader comments do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of The Express Tribune.