Oven-roasted garlic chicken on a hot summer day
Summer time in Karachi can be a long unbearable ordeal. Temperatures are high and the humidity levels are even higher, which makes cooking all the more bothersome.
Sitting under the fan, dreading the thought of standing in front of the hot stove in this scorching heat, I came up with this recipe. It is ideal for the summer as it demands only a few easy steps in its preparation, and while it cooks in the oven, you get a chance to cool off.
The beauty of this recipe is the simplicity of its ingredients, the combination of which creates magnificent flavour. The only problem is that generally, you require brandy to cook these sort of dishes, as seen on news channels etc. However, since this is not an option for some, apple, pineapple, or orange juice make good substitutes too.
The recipe gives you a chance to tantalise your taste buds with the succulent chicken, soft sweet garlic cloves, and light-as-air-mashed potatoes; all without long, tiresome hours in front of the stove.
1 large onion (sliced in long strips)
1 tsp dried tarragon
½ tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
1 tbs olive oil
1/3 cup orange, apple, or pineapple juice
A pinch of nutmeg
A handful of fresh parsley
Juice from one lemon
3 large potatoes (boiled)
¼ cup milk
A dash of paprika
Salt and pepper seasoning to taste
- Marinate chicken fillets with salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Leave for at least ten minutes.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread oil in a baking-dish; place the onions and parsley to create a bed for the chicken. Place the fillets in dish and sprinkle with the dried tarragon and nutmeg.
- Tuck in the garlic cloves in the corners and at the centre of the dish. Pour the juice over it and cover with tin foil.
- Put in the oven for 55 minutes or until juices have reduced.
- While the chicken bakes, take the boiled potatoes mash with the help of a fork. Season with salt, pepper, and paprika and add the milk. Keep mixing until you get a light fluffy texture. Add more milk if needed.
- The chicken should be nice and tender when it comes out from the oven, check with the help of a knife.
- Serve hot and enjoy with a glass of chilled lemonade.
Read more by Saba here.
The views expressed by the writer and the reader comments do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of The Express Tribune.